The Washington D.C. Metro Area Chapter awards scholarship to area students that have been accepted for attendance or are currently enrolled at Fort Valley State University. The scholarship are awarded based on academic excellence, community service participation and leadership potential. The chapter was awarded 16 tuition and books scholar to student from the Washington D.C. area that has enrolled at Fort Valley State University.
Fort Valley State University (FVSU) is one of Georgia's three public Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and the only 1890 land-grant institution in the state. The scholarship and book tuition is a yearly scholarship and not a full four-year scholarship.
To be eligible to apply for the scholarship and book awards, students must meet the below listed criteria:
- Residency of the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia
- Must be enrolled or recently accepted to FVSU
- Incoming & current full time student
- Minimum Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) for Tuition Scholarship is a 3.0
- Minimum Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) for Book Scholarship is a 2.25
- Tuition awards up to $3,000
- Book awards up to $750
HOW TO APPLY
Completing the application is the first step to receiving the scholarship and book award. Once submitted, all applications will be assessed, and a group of students will be selected.
January 15 – Application Opens
June 30 – Application Deadline
Applicants will be notified in July 15
Additional Documents should include the following:
- Copy of completed application (including application letter), if applicable (incoming Freshman)
- Essay (One page in length)
- Proof of college acceptance or current enrollment status
- Letters of recommendation (i.e., educator, community advocate), if applicable
- Official transcripts
Documents must be either emailed to the chapter email address at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to FVSU DC Alumni Chapter, Post Office Box 5961, Springfield, VA 22150.